How to Prepare for Your Photo Session
I get asked a lot of questions about Boudoir Photo Sessions. Mostly, about re-touching, or what a girl should bring to a session to wear. But I don’t get as many questions as I used to about how a girl should prepare for her Boudoir Photo Session. Preparation is extremely important.
The mental and the physical preparation are linked and can affect each other. Without your nails done and your hair cut the way you like it, it can affect how sexy you feel. Which is the most important thing! I can help you with expression, I have some tricks, but ultimately, the sexy, comes from you!
So below I have a list of the most important things to consider when preparing for a Boudoir Photography Session.
- Do your nails and toes and don’t forget the eyebrows! It’s a good excuse for a spa day. Get a good mani/pedi or do it at home. Your nails don’t have to be long, just a nice manicure. Color is optional. It’s usually best to stick with a color that’s fairly neutral, so it doesn’t clash with any of your outfits. If you don’t like nails or have a job that isn’t nail friendly, the Lee Press-on type of nail will work. They look very real in photos.
- Hair & Make-up. Treat yourself to a day of glamour and have your make up professionally done here before your session. I will provide a specialist to be on location before your session.
- Tanning. Ugh! I get asked about this a lot. Tanning is okay, but really not recommended. The most important thing is an even skin tone. How light or dark you are is really not that important. In fact, a very dark tan really does not photograph as well. If you don’t like tan lines, then the tanning bed just to even things out a bit is a good idea. But don’t overdo! I can’t fix a sunburn! Unless you want all black and white photos! You will not feel sexy with a painful sunburn!
- Working out. If you normally work out or are active, you know what activities will help you to feel sexy and lean. Do that the day before, but not the day of. Your muscles actually swell after a heavy workout. So unless you are doing a fitness shoot, you don’t want to bulge! If you don’t work out, that’s just fine. I KNOW how hide your flaws. And anyway, working out does not guarantee a flawless body.
- Shave your legs and take care of your bikini area. The camera doesn’t always pick this up, but YOU will feel sexier, and THAT will show.
- Clothing selection. This is probably the hardest for most ladies. When you are doing what is probably a once in a lifetime photo session, you want to get the most out of it. So, try on a few things and see what you like. Think of clothes and lingerie as a ‘tool’ to make you look sexy. If I were to recommend one article of clothing to bring for sure, it would be either a black, white or nude thong or panties. Usually women are more comfortable with “something” on and while if you are using drapings or fabrics and the thong were to show, it can easily be re-touched to blend in. Although I do have an assortment of lingerie here, however ladies I don’t do laundry so if you need panties or a thong I will gladly sell them to you!
- Also, use your imagination! Look at magazines and web sites to see what you like. Raid your closet and your friend’s closets! Play on his profession or yours. What does he like? What does he consider your best feature, what do you consider your best feature? What do you want to emphasize, or de-emphasize? Use lingerie and other clothing to show off. It’s all about you!
- I have saved the most important thing for last. Your mental ATTITUDE! Sometimes a client is just determined that she will not look good. She will tell me about every part of herself she doesn’t like. Point out every flaw (perceived flaw). I will attempt to change her mind, and I am usually successful. But this must occur BEFORE the session is finished. If I haven’t changed her mind about herself before the session is done, it will show in the photos.
No matter how beautiful she really is, you will see in her own eyes what she feels about herself. THIS is the key to good Boudoir Photography. So, my advice here is to believe me when I say, no matter what you think your flaws are, I can make you look your absolute best. Not because I am a magician, but because I see the real beauty that you are. I am not shackled by your preconceived notions of your self image. I simply see what is in front of me, and it is beautiful. Only waiting for me to expose it.